Monday 25 November 2013

Upcoming works minor update

As for right now, I am still developing on the cover for the Liga Prajurit comic and it's coming around rather slowly as I am still unclear on what's best for it.

But as a filler, I wish to show you another update of my sci fi work,

Today, it's all about fashion~

I wanted to romanticize traditional clothing yet still looks current/modern. I've made my decision to use the Malay Royal Palace Guard as my base reference and I started from there.

Notice that the other one thing I'm trying to emphasize is the exclusive use of cloth. Where other countries use chevrons, stars and buttons to tell what unit/rank/profession, I've found out that the Malays used cloth not only for everyday practical uses but also exclusively for this function - to symbolize a certain rank, authority, profession, pride, etc.

The first picture shows my few first attempts, the farthest to the left is my base reference - The Malay Royal Palace Guards. From then on, I started playing with colours and accessories, length of the sampin(waist cloth), etc. For instance, the other three not only to test how they look like in different colours and in different variations but also to test if it could be suited to the commonly used sci fi colour-themed ship crews. (yellow for engineers, green for gunners, etc)


The next step, I tried a little more challenge - putting specific batik woven patterns to make each profession/rank more distinctive from the other. The farthest from the left was the one I had most fun because I barely made any changes to the kevlar from the original real life design of a jawi inscripted leather vest used by the Malays. I only added shoulder and elbow pads to make it appear combat effective. The other three are more exploration as well as emphasizing the use of the chindai (shoulder cloth). This particular cloth is used to emphasize authority.


This third attempt started out as a joke but turned to be thrice as fun. What I'm trying to do is to make state-specific themed wear to discern easily each other of their native origin/unit/etc.
Here, we have Terengganu, Kelantan, Pahang and Kedah from left to right respectively.


I haven't made much progress on female clothes but so far this is it bu I had fun with them and will probably do more.


Well, that's it. hope it was worth a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...